George Jackson Academy (GJA) is the only school of its kind in New York City: an independent, nonsectarian upper elementary and middle school for academically capable boys from lower-income and underserved families. The school was created to engage boys from 4th to 8th grade, a time when young men are particularly vulnerable to disengaging from school. Currently, GJA serves more than 120 young men of color to succeed academically, socially, and emotionally. Responsibilities
Duties of the job include, but are not limited to:
* Teaches a 5th to 8th grade English Language Arts course (ELA).
* Develops lesson plans and instructional materials appropriate for subject matter.
* Uses a variety of instructional strategies such as inquiry based, group discussion, lecture, discovery, etc.
* Maintains an accurate grading system for students as well as updates students regularly on their progress in class.
* Communicates with parents regarding student academic and behavioral progress.
* Conducts consistent academic assessments to inform content retention.
* Collaborates with colleagues for lesson ideas, curriculum planning, and general communication and support.
* Completes required duty assignments.
* Contributes proactively to a positive school culture.
* Engages in professional development as suggested by Assistant Head of School.
* Exudes professionalism and adheres to all George Jackson Academy rules, regulations, and expectations. Qualifications
* Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Education or equivalent required; Master’s Degree preferred.
* Excellent written and verbal skills; experience with children required.
* Teaching certification preferred but not required. Compensation and Details
* Salary to commensurate with experience. To Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to David Arnold, Head of School firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Male Teachers wanted to hire to teach